Municipal Wassenaar
HOME  |  Products and services A-Z  |  First registration in the Netherlands

First registration in the Netherlands

  • Wat is het?

    What is it?

    Normally, any person who stays in the Netherlands legally for a long period is required to be registered in the municipal personal records database (the official name of the Dutch population register) within five days of arriving in the Netherlands. This is also the case if you have lived in the Netherlands before but left prior October 1, 1994. 
    When registering, you will be asked to provide as many original documents as possible to prove your identity, civil status and place of residence in the Netherlands. These might include, for example, birth certificates (for you and your children), marriage certificates, documents from previous or dissolved marriages, passports, proof of your nationality and rental agreements or contracts of sale relating to your place of residence in the Netherlands. In the absence of the documents referred to above, take with you to the town hall any other documents you have because these may assist in the processing of your registration. If you do not (also) hold Dutch nationality or are not a Union citizen, also bring along proof of your legal residency in the Netherlands. Sometimes it is necessary to determine if the foreign documents are real. This process is called legalisation. The municipality will let you know if legalization is necessary.

  • Hoe werkt het?

    How does it work?

    You can register if your stay in The Netherlands is legal. This is called lawful residence. In the following instances are cases of lawful residence:
    -    You hold the Dutch nationality
    -    You are EU citizen
    -    You have a valid residence permit 
    -    When you have to wait for the decision on your residence permit, you can stay in the Netherlands.

  • Wat moet ik doen?

    What should I do?

    To register, you have to go to the municipality yourself. You have to do this within 5 days upon arrival. 

  • Wat heb ik nodig?

    What should I bring?

    -    Valid identification
    -    Identification that proves your nationality
    -     Documents that prove your living in The Netherlands, like a rental agreement, contracts of sale or a statement of the main occupant of the dwelling
    -    Foreign documents of life events, like birth certificates, marriage certificates, certificate of recognition or documents from previous or dissolved marriages
    In certain situations, you need to provide additional documents with your application:

       You are moving in with someone 
    -    Written consent of the principal occupant of the address
       You are moving from Aruba, Bonaire, Curacao, Saba, St. Eustatius or St. Maarten
    -    Proof of deregistration

  • Hoe lang duurt het?

    How long does it take?

    The municipality will register you as soon as possible. This takes a maximum of 4 weeks. 

  • Online een afspraak maken?

    Make an appointment?

    Make an appointment?